Executes and supervises the accounting process and facilitates the financial reporting process by performing the following duties listed below. Assist in the day-to-day supervision of the Accounting Department workflow in order to meet internal and external financial reporting deadlines. Ensure Accounting Department policies and procedures are followed in a timely manner, leading to the timely and accurate presentation of financial results and required State and NAIC filings.
- Process and assist with the review of accounts payable, claim payments, premium refunds, cash deposits, wire transfers, etc.
- Assist in monitoring and overseeing the Staff Accountants and ensure they are working efficiently and effectively.
- Assist in overseeing the Accounting Department to ensure projects assigned are completed timely and accurately, all accounting transactions are properly supported, financial records are complete, properly maintained and filed and control procedures are in place.
- Report the status the Accounting Department workflow to the Accounting Manager and make sure deadlines are met; policies and procedures are being followed.
- Assess proper fixed asset capitalization, reconcile to the general ledger and prepare fixed asset rollforwards.
- Assist in evaluating and improving policies, procedures, processes and internal controls within the Accounting group
- Take on and review a variety of special projects such as premium clearing analysis, claims research, specific analyses, etc. and make sure they are completed accurately and timely.
Month End Duties:
- Review and post month end routine journal entries
- Review and post bank reconciliations
- Prepare investment activity journal entries
- Review investment reconciliations
- Review premium deposit reconciliations
- Review balance sheet account reconciliations including but not limited to accounts payable, accrued expenses, fixed assets, leases, etc.
- Maintain and complete month end close checklist including: month end journal entry check list, bank reconciliation checks, investment reconciliation checklist, and other reconciliation checklists.
- Assist with supervising in monthly, quarterly and yearly closing activities and state filings.
- Maintain and analyze various general ledger accounts through general journal entries, account reconciliations, accruals and month end, quarter end and year end closings.
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly and year-end management reports. Prepare financial analyses and variance explanations.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIESThis job requires someone with strong leadership skills and able to manage multiple tasks at once. In addition to his/her own job responsibility, this individual also must capable of overseeing other accounting staffs and organizing their work flow to make sure tasks are completed timely.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The individual must. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Proficient in Excel, Word, Outlook, other Microsoft applications, and other application including AS400, Annual Statement Filing software, Microsoft GP, etc.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Bachelor degree in accounting is required and two to three years of accounting experience preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Practical knowledge and understanding of GAAP and Statutory Accounting Principles.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
No certificates required.
Ability to read and comprehend detailed instructions, correspondence, and memos. Ability to professionally execute excellent verbal and written communications. Ability to effectively present information in one-on- one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
NOTE: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this list is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, Frontline Homeowners Insurance reserves the right to revise the functions and duties of the job or to require that additional or different tasks be performed when circumstances change.
We are a Drug Free Workplace and EOE.