Leaving Home? Keep Burglars at Bay
Whether leaving for the season, or just for a long vacation, be sure to take the necessary precautions around your home to prevent a burglary while you’re away. Here are some key tips to ensure your peace of mind while you travel:
- Temporarily stop newspaper and mail deliveries, or have a trusted neighbor collect them for you while you are gone.
- Use motion sensors on lights outside of your house so they turn on if someone walks by.
- An obvious, but sometimes overlooked, item is to ensure all your doors and windows are locked before leaving.
- Put automatic timers on lights in your home and set them to go on and off while no one is there.
- Ensure your lawn service continues while you are gone so your yard stays maintained.
- Lock up any ladders and tools that could be used to break into your home.
- An alarm system is a clear burglar deterrent. At Frontline, you may be eligible for a homeowners insurance credit if you have one installed in your home. Call your agent today to find out more.
- Leaving your car at the airport? Don’t leave your GPS inside. Burglars can break into your car and use the GPS to find out where you live.
- Consider hiring a house sitter to stay in your home or stop by frequently while you are gone.
Upon your return, be sure to do a once-over inspection of your home to check for any signs of entry or any missing items and call the police immediately if you notice anything awry.
Please remember that the comments contained in this blog are general in nature and that coverage under any specific policy of insurance will depend upon the terms and conditions of such policy.